Get $10 in italki credits when you sign up for your first lesson here: https://go.italki.com/tofluency
- This video was sponsored by italki Thank you, italki!
Improving your listening skills is vital if you want to be competent in the English language. In this lesson, you're going to learn how to improve this area in the most efficient and rapid way possible!
Free Fluency Book:https://www.tofluency.com/5-step-plan/
RESOURCES FROM THIS LESSON:
The powerful fluency technique:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7PGRbvJBkQ
The power of input:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmatzI1ge4
Wikipedia article on comprehensible input:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_hypothesis
How to learn English on your own:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKCNv16s0As
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR LISTENING SKILLS:
Native speakers don't understand everything they hear. It's true.
I sometimes find it difficult to understand:
- when on the phone
- when talking to people with accents I'm not used to
- when watching movies
- and when listening to music
This is going to happen to you. You'll never reach a stage where you understand everything.
But it's important to improve so that you can understand more. Here is how:
1. Improve your vocabulary and grammar: the more you know, the more you'll understand. Search for "input To Fluency" to learn how to do this.
2. Listen as much as possible: get used to the way people speak. You can listen while doing other things.
3. What you listen to is important: find audio that is enjoyable, specific to you, and comprehensible. I recommend audiobooks that have been adapted for English learners (graded readers)
4. Work on your pronunciation: if you can make the sounds in English, you'll better understand them when you hear them.
5. Have natural conversations: this is the best type of listening practice but it's more expensive and harder to find.
I encourage you to try these methods. Start today. Commit to doing more in English. Enjoy the journey.
Hope you enjoyed this! Please subscribe if you're new!