The TOK Essay Titles are live! Let me break them down for you! Need extra help? I can tutor you!https://www.fiverr.com/s2/70bca9cd95
- This is for TOK Essay tutoring!https://www.fiverr.com/share/oBQ5Db
- This is for TOK Exhibition help!
Here are my notes from the video:
1. Can there be knowledge that is independent of culture? Discuss with reference to mathematics and one other area of knowledge.
Platonism, nominalism, fictionalism
How different cultures contribute to maths
The Arts – be very unique
2. To what extent do you agree with the claim that “there’s a world of difference between truth and facts (Maya Angelou)? Answer with reference to two areas of knowledge.
Historical facts – do they exist?
"Mother" by Louise Bourgeois
3. Is there solid justification for regarding knowledge in the natural sciences more highly than knowledge in another area of knowledge? Discuss with reference to the natural sciences and one other area of knowledge.
Math – no there’s not.
Different disciplines – biology and chemistry – these gain knowledge in different ways!
Methods of gaining knowledge.
4. How do historians and human scientists give knowledge meaning though the telling of stories? Discuss with reference to history and the human sciences.
M&T – how do each gain knowledge?
Idea of national narratives – WAR!
5. How can we distinguish between good and bad interpretations? Discuss with reference to the arts and one other area of knowledge.
Art is determined by the viewer- NEED TO GO DEEPER THAN THIS!
Revisionist History – Foot soldier of Birmingham
HOW scientistsinterpret their data – how can we interpret data from sciences without being biased? Does this make it good or bad?
6. If we conclude that there is some knowledge we should not pursue on ethical grounds, how can we determine the boundaries of acceptable investigation within an area of knowledge? Discuss with reference to two areas of knowledge.
Stanford prison experiment