Published at : 12 Dec 2021
We've been using a really ugly wire fruit bowl (cage?) for years but my wife says that won't do in the new kitchen so I made a fruit bowl. It's made from some pieces of cherry glued together and then turned. I also included a base made from polished aluminium. Ended up really nice and we are both pleased.
This is the first bowl I've ever made in only a handful of times using a wood lathe (all of which you can see in my videos) so I'm no expert and looking back at the video footage, it sure shows lol. I knew that the headstock could rotate 90 degrees to enable a larger diameter of object to be worked on and when starting up the lathe it span up readily. While I was working, it seemed to vibrate a lot but I put this down to the great weight hanging off the side, it wasn't until it came to editing the video that I could see what was going on.
The flimsy metal base was flexing and the headstock was rocking back and forth, by a lot! It looks like the turning was true though because the tool rest was moving with everything else, but when the bowl was turned around to work on the inside you could tell it wasn't spinning true. When I put the newly turned bowl on the bench and eyeballed it for about an hour and used all sorts of methods to measure every which way I concluded that the bowl was higher on one side by about 1.5mm. This is easily detectable by eye and proven by showing the bowl to family and friends, who all picked the bowl being higher on one side. Putting the bowl back on the lathe and turning the bowl by hand with a reference point showed that, some how, the high spot could be eliminated on the same lathe that caused it (or was it just me) any way it ended up great and looks nice and balanced now.